The world of home building is constantly in flux. What’s popular with buyers one month may be something completely different than what they are looking for a year or even just a few months later. Thanks to ever changing technology and trends, home builders are having a constant need to revise their floor plans and feature offerings to keep up with not only what their buyers need, but what they want.
Here’s a look at the common features of the top-selling house plans for 2013 based on sales from house plan subsidiaries of Hanley Wood:
- Presentation: Buyers are more likely to pay attention to your home designs if they are presented well. Sixty percent of this year’s best-selling plans included photography, and the rest at least had high quality 3D renderings.
- Social: The best selling plans are also popular on social media. These are the plans that people are pinning to their dream home boards on Pinterest and Houzz.
- Size: Top-selling plans averaged 3,179 square feet this year, a significant increase from last year’s average of 2,646 square feet.
- Multi-story: While 80 percent of the top plans last year were ranch-style designs, this year, 70 percent of the favorite plans were two-story designs. However, sales indicate an even split between one and two-story homes.
- Master on the Main: Nine out of the top 10 plans included a master suite on the main level. Having a master suite on the first floor appeals to a wide range of audiences, including empty nesters and parents.
- Heart of the Home: An open kitchen is truly the heart of the home. All of this year’s top layouts included kitchens with islands that were open to the main living area.
- Formal Dining: While buyers want a space they can eat at in their kitchen, they still want the option for formal dining. Six out of the top 10 plans had a formal dining room separate from the eat-in breakfast area.
- Work Space: Six out of the 10 most popular plans included an office, study or room that could serve this function.
What do you think? Builders, I’d love to hear what features of your floor plans have been most popular this year. Buyers, what are you looking for in a new home? Feel free to leave a comment below with your opinion.
Until next time,